Clients appreciate Donna Bunton's broad trademark knowledge, experience and skill in the trademark field, and especially her commitment to procuring, protecting, and enforcing their trademarks.
Nixon Vanderhye Shareholder Donna Bunton focuses her practice on trademarks and unfair competition. For more than 30 years, she has been practicing all aspects of trademark law and representing clients in a diverse range of industries, including industrial and construction equipment, building materials, electronics, cosmetics, homeopathic and pharmaceutical products, pesticides, oil and gas, textiles and education. She enjoys counseling and working with individuals and companies of all sizes regarding their trademark and related intellectual property matters.
Donna’s experience in the trademark field encompasses all phases of trademark law, including:
- Assisting clients with trademark selection
- Conducting clearance searches
- Providing availability and registrability opinions
- Filing and prosecuting applications for registration of a wide variety of marks including product configurations, color, designs, word marks, and slogans
- Obtaining trademark registrations in the United States and throughout the world
- Counseling and representation in connection with appeals, opposition, cancellation proceedings, and infringement matters
- Handling internet domain name disputes
- Negotiating coexistence and settlement agreements
- Preparing assignment, coexistence, licensing, settlement, and other agreements
- Managing extensive U.S. and international trademark portfolios
- Developing enforcement and defensive strategies
- Registering trademarks with U.S. Customs and Border Protection
In addition, Donna regularly counsels clients on proper trademark usage and strategies to obtain, strengthen, and broaden trademark rights.
Prior to joining Nixon Vanderhye in 1990, Donna was an associate attorney at prominent intellectual property law firms in New York City and Washington, D.C. Her interest in trademark law was sparked many years ago while working with an experienced trademark attorney at a prestigious Washington, D.C., law firm.
- Manages worldwide trademark portfolio for a global industrial equipment manufacturer related to construction vehicles, including aerial work platforms, telehandlers, and associated products and accessories.
- Manages worldwide trademark portfolio for one of the world’s leading industrial and agricultural irrigation companies.
- Manages worldwide trademark portfolios for companies involved in education, the oil and gas industry, and the pesticide industry.
- Manages trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings in the U.S. and internationally.
- Counsels clients on securing and protecting trademark rights in the U.S. and internationally, and provides client-oriented strategies for protecting and enforcing those rights.
Transportation & Logistics
- Building Products
Communications & Data Transfer
Electrical & Computer Technology
- Computer Systems (Hardware, Software, & Firmware)
Toys & Gaming
- Life Sciences
- Medical Devices
Industrial & Manufacturing Systems & Products
- Oil and Gas
- Marine Products
Chemical, Industrial & Material Science
- Plant Fertilizers
- Agriculture & Irrigation
- Fashion & Cosmetics
- Food & Beverages
- District of Columbia
- New York
- J.D., American University, Washington College of Law , 1984
- B.A. in English, summa cum laude, University of Maryland, 1981
- American Bar Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA)