Andrew Patch has for over 30 years helped clients throughout the world procure and enforce valuable U.S. intellectual property rights across a broad range of technical disciplines, and is a trusted advisor for IP portfolio management and development.
Nixon Vanderhye Shareholder Andrew Patch holds the degrees of Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from the University of Maryland, and Juris Doctor from the Georgetown University Law Center. A patent attorney since 1989, Andrew Patch has been privileged to help many of the world’s leading companies develop their IP portfolio through personalized counseling and expert representation before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office and the U.S. courts. He has handled thousands of U.S. patent applications in a wide range of fields including optical devices, pharmaceuticals, semiconductor devices, outdoor power equipment, dispensing and paper-making technology, nanotechnology, data storage devices and polymer technology. Andrew also represents small to medium-sized enterprises and universities and is experienced in technology transfer.
Andrew has extensive experience before the Patent Trial & Appeal Board in both ex parte appeals and inter partes proceedings. He has represented clients in contested proceeding in various of the U.S. district courts, including Delaware, the Eastern District of Virginia, the Eastern District of Texas, and the Northern District of California, as well as before the U.S. International Trade Commission, and has made numerous appearances before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Andrew was retained by the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice as a technical expert to assist in its investigation of licensing practices in the digital data storage industry. He is regularly tasked by his clients with providing authoritative opinions on questions of patent infringement, validity and enforceability.
- Preparation & Prosecution
- Post-Grant Proceedings
- PTAB Practice
- Due Diligence
- Domestic and Worldwide Portfolio Management
- Design Patents
- Opinions & Counseling
- PRs, PGRs, CBMs, Reexams, and Derivations
- Trademarks and Unfair Competition
- Trade Secrets
IP Transactions, Agreements, and Trade Secrets
- IP Transactions and IP Agreements
- Protecting Trade Secrets & Know-How
- IP Audits and Due Diligence
Trademark and Brand Protection
- U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Proceedings
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center , 1989
- B.S. in Chemistry, University of Maryland, 1985